- FOR THE SOUP
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 4 1/2 cups peeled, 1 in chunks pumpkin or other orange-fleshed squash: (from 2 1/2 lb squash)
- 4 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- FOR THE PESTO
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves, plus slivered leaves
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup salted roasted pumpkin seeds
Warm up your weeknight!
1. Make soup: Saute onion and ginger in oil in a medium pot over medium -high heat until golden, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and coriander and cook until softened, 1 minute, then add pumpkin, broth, salt and pepper. Simmer, covered, until pumpkin is very tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Puree in batches in a blender until very smooth.
2. Make Pesto: Pound garlic, whole mint leaves, salt, and 1 tbsp oil in a mortar into a paste ( or use a food processor ). Add remaining oil and pumpkin seeds and pound until coarsely crushed.
3. Drop small spoonfuls of pesto over bowls of soup, garnish with slivered mint, and serve remaining pesto on side.
Mini Pumpkin Bowls
Makes 6 | 1 Hour
It is always fun to make your own soup bowls!
Cut a thin slice from base of 6 mini-pumpkins so they all sit flat. Set on a rimmed baking sheet, rub with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake in a 400 F degree oven until tender, about 40 to 45 minutes. Cut off 2 inch wide lids. Carefully scrape out seeds with a small spoon. If you get a hole, line pumpkin with a piece of foil.